The Phoenix Fireboat – 1954

The Phoenix Fireboat – 1954

Announcement Date: November 14, 1954

The “Phoenix” went in service in 1954 as the successor of two steam-powered Fireboats, City owned, the “David Scannell” and the “Dennis T. Sullivan.”  These two vessels served the City well for 45 years from 1909 until their age presented maintenance problems that were too costly to solve.

Prior to the launching of the “Phoenix” the Port Authority, in a public contest, encouraged San Franciscans to suggest a name for the craft and the name chosen was suggested by a member of the Phoenix Society, Edward Pendergast.

Briefly here are a few statistics relative to the “Phoenix.”  It is of all-welded construction. Freeboard amidships is approximately 6 feet, at her bow, 10 feet; at her stern, 5 feet.  Maximum maneuverability is provided by twin screws and twin rudders. Maximum speed is approximately 15 knots.  Diesel oil is used as fuel for operation of all engines and the fuel supply is sufficient for performance of all engines at full capacity for about 34 hours.

The “Phoenix” can deliver 9,000 gallons per minute (GPM) at 150 pounds pressure per square inch (PSI) or 3,200 GPM at 300 PSI.  On deck is a punt propelled by a modified salvage pump which can be lowered over the side by a boom.  The punt is valuable for fighting fire under the docks.

The “Phoenix” is equipped with radar and by radio is in contact with the San Francisco Fire Department and the Coast Guard.  The Coast Guard and fire fighting equipment maintained on State and privately owned craft within the Bay area are available when requested by the San Francisco Fire Department.