Paid Department

Paid Department

Announcement Date: December 3, 1866

An Act to Establish a Paid Fire Department for the City and County of San Francisco. The Act provided for a five man Board of Fire Commissioners to manage the affairs of the Department.

The Fire Department consisted of a Chief Engineer, two Assistant Chiefs, one Corporation Yard Keeper and six steam fire engine companies. Each engine company was to have one foreman, one engineer, one driver, one fireman, and eight extra or “call” men. There were two Hook-and-Ladder Companies each consisting of one foreman, one driver, one tiller man and twelve extra men. Additionally, there were three Hose companies, each consisting of one foreman, one driver, one steward and six extra men.

During April of 1866, the Board of Supervisors purchased four steam fire engines and one hose reel from the Amoskeag Manufacturing Company of Manchester, New Hampshire. This purchase was made at a cost of $7,655. In July of the same year the Supervisors also bought twenty-seven horses to provide motive power for the new and heavier equipment.